Training Course: THE FUTURE OF DEMOCRACY – the role of youth workers and youth leaders
Dates: 14-21 April 2016
Venue: Oliveira de Azeméis, Portugal
Eligible are 30 participants coming from: Erasmus+ Youth in Action Programme countries
Application deadline: 18th March 2016
Youth Workers/Leaders: here you’ll get tools and insights on how to handle the topics of democracy, social inclusion and civic competences in complex contexts. Question yourself. Learn and practice tools. Become a more effective promoter of democracy!
The word ‘democracy’ is often used in wrong contexts and abused when convenient. As engaged Trainers, Youth Workers/Leaders and Project Managers, working directly with young people, we have the POWER to make a change in our own community.
But, unconsciously, we do not always follow some of the healthy principles of democracy. When we claim that our young people fully participate… aren’t we actually telling them what to do and think?
This training course aims to question ourselves and to practice and learn tools how to be a more effective promoter of democracy – and this in a challenging and interesting way.
In this Training Course we will tackle both possibilities and challenges with a European democratic society. The project will offer discussions and workshops that will give participants a wider and deeper understanding of the European dimension when talking about democracy, inclusion and communication.
Methods used are workshops, discussions and reflection using the experience and questions from the participants. Methods like Deep democracy, Plan B and Open Space will be supporting the process. Future co-operation and networks will be proposed to the participants including the new skills in working with young people both on local level and in international youth projects.
– To foster democratic processes in youth work in Europe
– To widen the understanding of democracy;
– To highlight the complexity of democratic processes and learn how to deal with it;
– To create an awareness and discussion about the conflict between individual needs and the need of a collective/society;
– To critically reflect/question the notion of democracy associated with “going with the majority”;
– To understand concepts as grassroots democracy & inclusive democracy;
– To practice tools for intervention in our own communities and realities;
– To equip the youth workers with insight in their role in an inclusive democratic society;
– To create a solid networks of contacts and partnerships;
– To reflect on the inclusiveness of youth work methods;
– To understand the power Erasmus+ has as a tool to promote democracy;
– Foster the creation of new democratic projects on a local, national or European level.
This project is financed by the Erasmus+ Youth in Action Programme.
Being selected for this course, all costs (accommodation, travel, visa, etc.) relevant to participation in the course will be covered by the NAs involved in this project – except a participation fee which varies from call to call and country to country.
Please contact your Erasmus+ Youth in Action NA to learn more about the financial details, and how to arrange the booking of your travel tickets and the reimbursement of your travel expenses.
For sending NA´s: This activity is financed by TCA 2015
Portuguese National Agency for Erasmus+ Youth in Action
For additional information please: Download the Application form
Available downloads: Democracy Timeschedule.pdf
Contact for questions: