Training Course COMETS: Understanding and facilitating individual and group learning processes
Dates: 2-8 May 2018
Venue: Vienna, Austria
Application deadline: 1st February 2018
Training for Trainers on ‘Understanding and facilitating individual and group learning processes’ based on the ETS competence model for trainers working at international level.
In the context of the European Training Strategy (ETS), SALTO T&C RC developed the Competence Model for Trainers Working at International Level.
The ‘COMETS training courses’ were developed as a support for trainers in their competence development, each course focusing on one competence area of the above-mentioned model.
Hence, with this call, Interkulturelles Zentrum, the Austrian National Agency for Erasmus+ Youth in Action together with SALTO T&C RC invite trainers to take part in this fourth edition of COMETS: ‘Understanding and facilitating individual and group learning processes’.
This particular competence from the model encompasses the following competences:
– Selecting, adapting or creating appropriate methods
– Creating a safe, inspiring learning environment
– Support learners in identifying and meeting their learning needs and overcoming any barriers
– Understanding and facilitating group dynamic in a way that is conducive to different ways of learning
– Stimulating active participation, motivating and empowering learners
– Effectively managing one’s own emotions in training situations; respecting ethical boundaries visa-a-vis learners
Taking the above into account, the intentions of the course are, amongst others:
– To reflect upon dimensions such as empathy, respect, and honesty in a learning context and process;
– To work on the attitudes of trainers and learners with regards to authenticity, openness, and curiosity;
– To reflect on and explore the limits and boundaries of learners;
– To explore ways to stimulate, support, and empower learners, individually and as a group
COMETS training courses intend principally to offer trainers a space to reflect, exchange and contrast their practice and understanding with regard to a certain ETS competence area. The main purpose is to enable participants to take further steps in their professional practice. In that sense, COMETS is more a ‘learning experience’ than a training course stricto sensu.
No matter the focus on each course, COMETS are all based on a series of principles, which are:
– Awareness: me – the group – the field – the context;
– Readiness to question and to review practice;
– Readiness to stretch boundaries;
– Being explicit about choices as trainers;
– Integrity: Walk the talk!
– Giving space to the whole person: body – mind – soul – heart;
– Awareness: Being here as learner in a community of learners;
– Giving to Caesar what’s Caesars’: acknowledging [re]sources of practice.
The team of trainers for this COMETS edition are Nik Paddison and Alexandra Beweis.
Following the selection process, the training team will contact participants with specific information and tasks regarding the further development of the programme. This is to ensure that the needs of the participants are taken into account in order to maximise the potential that the course offers.
COMETS is a training for trainers format which provides trainers, being advanced in the implementation of international trainings for youth workers, with opportunities to come together to reflect upon, discuss and develop further on different competence areas of the ETS competence model. In the context of COMETS, ‘advanced’ means that the trainer-learner has the capacity to direct his/her own learning and in particular, the ability to self-assess his/her own competences.
The general aims of the COMETS training courses are:
– To contribute to quality development of youth work and of training practise in the field;
– To put the ETS competence model into practice;
– To support National Agencies and other youth sector organizations in working with trainers on competence development;
– To contribute to the professional development of trainers in the field.
Please find attached the guiding principles developed for the COMETS training courses and further information around the series of COMETS.
Please find here further material for reading: The ETS competence model for trainers working at international level
This project is financed by the Erasmus+ Youth in Action Programme.
Being selected for this course, all costs (accommodation, travel, visa, etc.) relevant to participation in the course will be covered by the NAs or SALTO RC (EECA or SEE) involved in this project – except a participation fee which varies from call to call and country to country.
Please contact your Erasmus+ Youth in Action NA or SALTO RC to learn more about the financial details, and how to arrange the booking of your travel tickets and the reimbursement of your travel expenses.
Info for sending NAs: this activity is financed with TCA 2017
INTERKULTURELLES ZENTRUM – National Agency
Injuve (ES) – National Agency
SALTO Training & Cooperation Resource Centre
Foundation for the Development of the Education System – Polish National Agency
Phone: +43 1 586 75 44-35
For additional information please: Download the Application form
Available downloads: InfoPack Training of Trainers.pdf
Contact for questions: