Training Course ‘In and Out’: Emotional dimension of young people in and after imprisonment
Dates: 4-10 February 2018
Application deadline: 10th December 2017
Activity aims at giving opportunity for staff members of closed institutions, probation centres and NGOs to explore how non-formal methods can support the work with emotional dimension of young people and to develop cooperation and concrete initiatives.
Activity has following objectives:
• To define the framework and approach to emotional dimension in the work with young people in or after imprisonment;
• To discover how non-formal education methods and tools can be used for fostering emotional empowerment of young people in or after imprisonment;
• To provide space for participants to share experiences and good practices working with young people in or after imprisonment;
• To establish cooperation on national and international level and develop concrete initiatives to be implemented after the training course;
• To discover opportunities of Erasmus+ programme for work with young people in or after imprisonment.
Profile of participants:
– Staff members of closed institutions like detention services, prisons etc. (social workers, psychologists, project coordinators, youth workers, etc.) and probation services who work with young people on a daily basis
In Tandem With
– NGO members working or willing to work in closed institutions to address emotional dimension in work with young people.
Participants are invited to apply in tandems to foster cooperation and mutual support in implementation of common initiatives aiming at ensuring the well-being of young people in and after imprisonment. After the training course tandems are expected to implement at least one follow up activity with young people.
The methodology of the seminar is based on the fundamental principles of non-formal education. The methods provided will enable participants to fully participate in the learning process. Learning from experience will be a fundamental pillar in the way the seminar will be facilitated. This event focuses on key aspects of non-formal education like the participant centred approach and experiential learning. It will imply that the team of trainers will keep in mind the participants’ prior experience working within closed institutions contexts.
The learning process will continuously adapt to the needs of participants and motivations as well as the group’s work rhythm.
Moreover, an essential element of the methodology is based on the holistic nature of the learning experience, through methods that involve not only cognitive or intellectual approaches but also covering the emotional and attitudinal ones. This way the learning is enhanced as it embraces the three dimensions of human learning.
The diversity of working methods (presentations, role plays, simulations, debates, energizers, individual reflection questionnaires, technical project management, feedback techniques, teamwork, etc) will make more sense than ever in order to better illustrate the meaning of non formal education and emotional dimension of youth workers in closed institutions.
The international composition of the group of participants will be an asset to explore the multicultural dynamics of teamwork and thus will contribute to incorporate new learning at the level of cultural diversity.
Participants will have to arrive on February 4 midday and depart on February 10 any time.
Trainers: Natalja Gudakovska and Federica Milano
This project is financed by the Erasmus+ Programme.
Being selected for this course, all costs (accommodation, travel, visa, etc.) relevant to participation in the course will be covered by the NAs involved in this project – except a participation fee which varies from call to call and country to country.
Please contact your NA to learn more about the financial details, and how to arrange the booking of your travel tickets and the reimbursement of your travel expenses.
Travel arrangements for participants from Eastern Partnership countries and Russia will be organized by Latvian National Agency.
Note for sending NAs: This activity is financed by TCA 2017
Latvian National Agency
Phone: +371 67356258
For additional information please: Download the Application form
Available downloads: Programme Closed Institutions.pdf
Contact for questions: