Training Course: Let’s Digital Storytell!
Dates: 18-27 August 2018
Venue: Bucharest, Romania
Eligible are 24 participants coming from: Bulgaria, Lithuania, Portugal, Romania, Spain, United Kingdom
Application deadline: 17th July 2018
Explore the fundamentals of the digital storytelling and apply it as an innovative method to empower young people. Learn to create digital stories and improve your creativity, communication, critical thinking, teamwork and digital entrepreneurship skills.
Let’s Digital Storytell! will bring together 24 participants from 6 European countries. The countries involved are Bulgaria, Lithuania, Portugal, Romania, Spain and UK. Thus, please note that this call is open only for UK participants.
The main aim of the training course is to develop the digital storytelling competences of youth workers and young people, and to equip our participants with valuable knowledge that is transferable to many other projects. The attendees will have the opportunity to share their skills and experience, and to explore digital storytelling from the perspective of digital marketing and using it as an alternative to traditional videos and for their NGOs’ promotion.
The training course will teach our participants the fundamentals of the digital storytelling process and how to create simple digital stories that can be used when working with young people. Participants will also learn how to use digital storytelling as a powerful tool of digital communication by producing exciting digital stories that require minimal experience and equipment.
Context: young people living in rural and disadvantage area can barely enjoy the benefits of technology-assisted trainings on digital skills due to the existing gaps in infrastructure and equipment, software and platforms, and limited teaching staff and resources.
Young citizens from all over the world need to be equipped with digital competences and complementary skillsets and capabilities if they want to leverage existing and emerging technologies for development, to reach personal goals in their personal or professional life, and to be prepared for the jobs of the future.
Briefly the main idea of the Let’s Digital Storytell! training course is for participants to:
1. learn the fundamentals of the digital storytelling process and apply it as a modern educational method and that can be replicated when working with young people,
2. explore digital storytelling from the perspective of digital marketing, using it as an alternative to traditional videos for the promotion of NGOs, and to also use digital stories to shape and evolve organizational branding, increase their visibility and in developing marketing campaigns,
3. to ensure a strong foundation in 21st century skills (visual/global/digital literacy) by creating digital stories that required minimal experience and equipment (e.g. digital devices such as smartphones, tablets, basic camera etc.) but with a high impact towards the audience.
Besides exploring an innovative technology tool and enjoying a great learning experience, Let’s Digital Storytell! training course will help us improve many complementary “soft skills” such as creativity, communication skills, critical and logical thinking, teamwork, or digital entrepreneurship and to develop the following competences:
– Digital Literacy, the ability to communicate with a worldwide community to discuss issues, gather information, and seek help.
– Global Literacy, the capacity to read, interpret, respond, and contextualize messages from a global perspective.
– Visual Literacy, the ability to understand, produce, and communicate through visual images.
– Technology Literacy, the ability to use computers, tablets, mobile devices and other technology to improve learning, productivity, and performance.
– Information Literacy, the ability to find, evaluate and synthesize information.
This training course is primarily aimed at youth workers, youth leaders, educators, trainers, teachers, NGO volunteers, who would like to expand their knowledge in the field of digital storytelling and to boost their digital skills.
Participants need to have a good command of the English language and be ready to engage in interactive educational activities. Also, they need to be EU citizens or residents of the project countries and should not be involved in EVS programmes nor to be Erasmus students. The participants should be over 18 years old.
This project is financed by the Erasmus+ Youth in Action Programme.
Accommodation, food and basic learning materials will be provided by the organisers.
Travel costs to/from the training course will be fully reimbursed up to the national limits set by the Erasmus+ programme, which are roughly:
Bulgaria = €180
Lithuania = €275
Romania = €20
Portugal = €360
Spain = €360
United Kingdom = €360
There is no participation fee.
Participants are required to arrange their own travel and medical insurance for the duration of the training course. This is a mandatory condition for attending.