Training Course: THE FUTURE OF DEMOCRACY: The role of youth workers and youth leaders
Dates: 30 March – 7 April 2014
Eligible are 30 participants coming from: Bulgaria, Greece, Portugal, Spain, Turkey
Application deadline: 26th February 2014
This training course aims to question ourselves and parallel, to practice and learn tools how to be a more effective promoter of democracy, and this in a challenging and interesting way.
The word ‘democracy’ is often used in wrong contexts and abused when convenient. As engaged youth workers and youth leaders, we have the POWER to make a change in our own community, directly working with young people. Also we –most often unconsciously- do not follow some of the healthy principles of democracy, when we claim that our young people fully participate … while we actually tell them what to do and think. This training course aims to question ourselves and parallel, to practice and learn tools how to be a more effective promoter of democracy, and this in a challenging and interesting way.
AIM & OBJECTIVES
Aim: To create an ongoing discussion about complexity of democracy and the need of putting time and awareness about what happens to individual needs in a non-inclusive society in order to make it inclusive for as much people as possible.
• To deepen the understanding of democratic process and the complexity of inclusion in a democratic political system.
• To create an awareness and discussion about the conflict between individual needs and the need of a collective/society. To provoke the “lie” and assumption that humans are mature enough to put down their believes and arguments and go with the majority decision without making resistance!
• How a society both can be democratic and inclusive IRL?
• To critically reflect/question the notion of democracy associated with “going with the majority”
• To understand concepts as grassroots democracy & inclusive democracy
• To practice tools for intervention in our own communities and realities. Secondary objectives:
• To create a solid networks of contacts and partnerships
• To equip the youth workers with insight in their role as coach and support.
PROFILE OF PARTICIPANTS
THE VENUE The training course will take place in a quite isolated area, very close to the beach (Praia Grande).
The address is: Estrada do Rodízio nº85, 2705-334 Almoçageme http://goo.gl/maps/SJNwj You will be hosted in rooms with bunk beds (from 4 to 12 beds/room). Wi-fi internet connection is available.
Participants have to pay a participation fee of 10€ and cover 30% of travel cost to reach training course venue. Accommodation and food costs will be covered by the project grants.
Vida+Viva, Associação Animam Viventem
Contact for questions:
Youth In Advancement 18+
Want to showcase your product to our audience? Then check our advertising options. yia18.org/ads
- From the giant waves of Praia do Norte, in Nazaré… (enjoyportugalcountry.wordpress.com)
- 10 amazing beaches you would love to be on in Brazil (hiddenpousadasbrazil.com)
- The Surfers Paradise – Portugal (enjoyportugalcountry.wordpress.com)
- Baby dolphin ‘dances’ by way of thanks after being freed from plastic bag (metro.co.uk)
- Youths must prove their viability (times.co.zm)
- The Evolution Of Democracy – ORIGIN – CONTINUITY (sassoon18.wordpress.com)
- Democracy and the Christie phenomenon (digbysblog.blogspot.com)
- Day 241: Democracy (myskyproject.wordpress.com)